Get automatically notified when there are changes on a Web site
To get automatically notified when there are changes on a Web site, you can use a little-known feature called “Link Crawling”. This technology is supported in Internet Explorer 4.0 and later. You can configure your favorite URLs so Internet Explorer will check for updates on a scheduled basis. If there are updates, you can have Internet Explorer send you an email alert.
The procedure for configuring Link Crawling varies depending on your OS and Internet Explorer version. For example, on some versions you’ll right-click the Active Desktop and select Properties. Then you’ll click the Web tab. In Windows XP the procedure is slightly different. Here’s how you’ll configure Link Crawling on Windows XP. The procedure describes how to add TechGalaxy.net but you can add any Web site or picture on the Web.
1. Right-click the desktop and select Properties.
2. Click the Desktop tab.
3. Click on the Customize Desktop icon.
4. In the Desktop Items window, select the Web tab. You’ll notice My Current Home Page as the only item listed under Web pages.
5. On the Web tab of the Desktop Items, click on New and in the location box type the URL for the Web site e.g. http://www.techgalaxy.net. You can add live Web contents such as Web pages or pictures here.
6. Click Customize to further customize the desktop item or simply click OK.
7. Now you should have two items listed under Web pages, My Current Home Page and http://www.techgalaxy.net.
8. On the Web tab of the Desktop Items, place a check mark in the box next to http://www.techgalaxy.net and then select Synchronize to update the Web page.
9. On the Web tab of the Desktop Items, click the Properties button.
10. On the Schedule tab, select the options you want for synchronizing the Web site.
11. On the Download tab, select the options you want for downloading contents. This tab also allows you to enter an email address so when the page changes you’ll be notified via email. If you want to monitor changes on a Web page that is limited to subscribers and requires authentication, click on the Login button and enter your credentials.
12. The email message you’ll receive from the Internet Explorer will contain the following subject line:
Internet Explorer Notice: http://www.techgalaxy.net/
You can also add contents from Microsoft Desktop Gallery.
Copyright ©2005 Zubair Alexander. All rights reserved.