Windows Server 2008 Backup Notes
Windows Server 2008 offers new features but also has some limitations that you should be aware of. Here’s some information that you may find useful.
– Windows Server Backup Tool is not installed by default.
– You can’t backup data to tape cartridges.
– You can’t backup data to a dynamic volume.
– You can’t backup individual files or folders. You can only backup entire volumes.
– You can schedule a backup using wbadmin.exe command line tool.
– Scheduled backups reformat the target drive that hosts the backup files. Therefore, Microsoft recommends that you use a dedicated volume for backup.
– Windows Server 2008 supports backing up data to DVD/CD.
– Backup MMC is not available in WS08 Standard and Core editions. You must use either command line tools or use the snap-in on another computer to backup Standard or Core editions.
– You can use NTbackup.exe tool to mount tapes from previous backup versions but you can’t create new backups on Windows Server 2008 using NTbackup.exe.